Thursday, October 12, 2006

Single Serving Discrimination

Last night I was alone and had an hour to kill and a stomach to fill, so I stopped in Hollywood Diner on 16th and 6th. Although the word “Hollywood” before diner is meant to create the illusion of a place that might have svelte Ford models doubling as servers, it’s really the kind of place where a cook named Sal might smoke Parliaments while burning your tuna melt.

I tell the waiter/host that I want a booth and he takes me to a table instead and says that it’s a busy time. I bent my knees and was about butt contact with the chair when I did some quick math: 4 empty booths, 9 empty tables. He's saving the booths for a party of 2 or more. I realized, “WAIT A MINUTE…I just got snubbed at a DINER!” A diner, for crying out loud! How embarrassing!

This is the equivalent of being in an almost-empty McDonald’s and a really snooty Ronald character comes up to you and says, “Excuse me, this booth is reserved.”

So I dissed back. That’s right! I stood back up and walked out of there. I took a stand against Single Serving Discrimination. There are plenty of places in New York that will let a solo girl get a meal without having to sit in the No Friends Section.

Liberate yourself! Take a stand.