Tuesday, May 30, 2006

What's the Point?

I drink decaf coffee. Stop throwing your virtual tomatoes at me, I know I’m in the minority! I know partially because I always get either the dregs or burnt coffee when I order decaf. The other tell-tell sign that people like me are few and far between is that whenever the subject of caf vs. decaf comes up, someone always says, “what’s the point?”

I envision some witty person years ago saying “what’s the point?” in regard to coffee and at the time it was clever and funny. Kind of like the first time someone said “shit happens” or “you want fries with that?” Now, it’s something that people say because they have heard other people say it and it’s an auto-response with no thought behind the words.

“How ya doing?”Auto-response “good.”

“Does this make me look fat?”Auto-response, “No!”

Silently minding my own business making coffee.
Auto-response, “You drink decaf? What’s the point?”

The point is that if I have caf, I get all jacked up and start to have heart palpitations. The point is that if I drink decaf too late in the day I can’t sleep. That’s the point!

I never thought about it before today, but I love the phrase “what’s the point?” It can immediately deflate any situation like a sharp tack to a balloon. I want to start using it in conversations other than beverage discussions. Like for instance, next time a friend calls to say that she’s pregnant I’m going to say, “What’s the point?” or the next niece to graduate, I’ll show up with a “What’s the point? 2009” mug. When my mom calls to ask when I’m coming home again, you’ve got it. I’m going to stick my hand in the hive and stir it up with a “what’s the point?”

So next time you’re cocked and loaded ready to shoot off at the mouth with this explosive phrase, stop and think for a minute, “what IS the point?”