Friday, December 08, 2006

Labelmaker Beats Bev in a 4-0 Victory




I'm compelled to address the rampant problem of over-packaging.

A few weeks ago, I ordered a labelmaker at work. It came in a cardboard box the size of a TV. I broke that down and tore apart the bubblewrap to get to the labelmaker’s bulletproof plastic packaging. I fought to get it open and gave up when I broke a nail. Quite frankly, nothing at work is worth losing a nail over.

So I set it on my desk. Over the past couple of weeks, a few people asked to use it. Each time, I eagerly handed it over and each time the disgruntled co-worker returned it unopened.

Today I had enough. I looked at Labelmaker and said, “Alright, it’s you and me. Head to head.” (Ding. Ding.)

I grabbed a pair of scissors and we started to tussle. I don’t know exactly what happened over the next fifteen minutes, but arms flailed, buttons were pushed and plastic was torn. I ended up with a scratched arm, snagged sweater, bent pair of scissors and a bad attitude. Labelmaker ended up with a smug grin.

With my adrenaline amped, I went back in the ring. I finally wrestled Lablemaker to the ground and pulled off the plastic, only to realize that he was powerless. Really powerless, he needed batteries.

I went to the supply drawer to get batteries and they were also packaged in Bevproof plastic. I looked at my mangled scissors and thought, "I'm gonna need a new pair for this fight." So I reached for a new pair of scissors and that's when I stood stumped. Scissors also come in hard packaging that requires scissors to open!