Sunday, March 18, 2007

Ralphie


A racoon started showing up on my fire escape. When I started telling people about the racoon, everyone said the same thing, "Really, what are you doing to get rid of it?" My response was, "Uh...putting out apples and warm towels."

Contrary to popular belief, apples and warm towels do not get rid of racoons.

I named him Ralphie. Apparently I have joint custody with one of our neighbors because he's only here a couple of nights a week. I've wanted a pet for a while. I can't pet him and he's probably rabid, but you take what you can get.

He's got some grey, so he might be a little older. And racoons are nocturnal, so every day about sunset, he gets up, starts grooming, combing his hair, getting ready for his night out on the town. He checks himself out in the window reflection. I probably wouldn't even have known he was out there, if he weren't singing, "Oh yes, it's ladies night and the feelings right, oh yes it's ladies night, oh what a night..."

Labels: ,