Monday, January 22, 2007

Ouch! Ouch! Ouuwwwwwhhh!

A new gym opened up near my apt. It was perfect. A new year, a new gym. It's brand new, clean, a few blocks away, so there's no excuses. Things were going great with me and my new gym, until today. I decided to go the a strength training class. There were only 4 people in it, so we got individualized attention.

There is a very real chance that I won't be able to walk tomorrow. My poor muscles are on high alert. They don't trust me any more after what I put them through today. Every time I move, my muscles tense up in terror, shaking, whispering, "Oh no, what's she doing?" I try to reassure my quivering legs by saying things like, "It's okay, we're just going to the kitchen."

My upper thighs hurt so bad that I had to walk all the way home without bending my knees. I considered getting a cab, but I didn't want the driver to have to help me out when I got home. Luckily we focused on leg work, so I still had the arm strenth to pull my body up two flights of stairs when I got home.

I'm still stunned by the fact that as I was leaving the class, two people had the audacity to say to me, "See ya next week!" I was thinking, "Are you out of your damn mind? If I could bend my knees, I'd kick your butt right now!"