Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Out-souped at The Soup Man

Tonight I was ordering a soup combo at The Soup Man. And if you're not familiar with the Soup Man, he's the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld, who tried to sue Seinfeld. That didn't pan out, so he took the 'if you can't beat them, join them approach' and has now created a franchise soup empire with the overstated tagline of "The soup that made Seinfeld famous." Same soup from Seinfeld, except now the restaurants try to be overly friendly to get away from the Nazi reputation.

That's the background.

Tonight I ordered Chicken Vegetable soup, and the girl behind the counter told me to pick any salad I wanted. I picked out my salad and she said, "Oh, not that one." While I'm picking out a different salad, and another man came in and ordered the same soup as me.

So I'm waiting for my order and the friendly manager comes up and explains that they're out of the Chicken Vegetable soup. And I was all, "but I just sampled it and it was delicious!" And behind the manager, I see the other guy who ordered the same soup walking out the door as the manager says, "Yeah, we just ran out."

I call it like I see it, "That guy just out-souped me! You let the soup swindler get my soup!"

He laughed and tried to sell me on the, "Chicken Barooh" which he claimed was "very popular."

"What?"

He repeated it again, "Chicken Barooh, very popular." I had never had barooh before, but my options were dwindling as other soup snatchers were starting to trickle in the place. Turns out he was saying Chicken Barley. I decided to settle, "Alright, mix the chicken barooh with the vegetable soup."

That's when I saw the true Soup Nazi colors. Everyone behind the counter got wide-eyed, as he explained, "We're not allowed to mix the soups. You can buy two soups and when you get home mix them together."

I spared no sarcasm as I smiled and said, "because it might taint the special secret recipe?"

Mr. Chicken Barooh grinned and nodded.

It just goes to show, you can take the soup out of the Nazi, but you can't take the Nazi out of the soup.

Labels: , , ,